Paper flowers in a woolly vase

Wet day and the window ledge needed cheering up, so a vase of flowers was created without stepping outside

Six pinwheel flowers were cut on the scan n cut with BBQ matches for stalks and buttons for centres. I used blue themed floral  papers to match the ‘vase’ (and my mood as the rain seemed endless)

The vase was a can found from recycling with a ball of wool wrapped round it. Most wraps were made round the middle to give a rounded shape and a few strands of contrast wool wrapped around the top and tied in a bow for decoration

The can was filled with out of date dried pasta shapes (mini alphabets) so I could spread the stalks outside

Maybe a few leaves would finish this off?

Crazy quilt

A stash buster built on the base of an IKEA throw, using crazy quilt 9 inch blocks

I cut wonky hexagons as the scentre of each block and added strips, working my way round the sides of the hexagon until it was about  9 inches square, then trimmed it against a 9 inch card template to be accurate

blocks were sewn into strips and then directly on to to the throw base until it was covered

where there were gaps or tears- I made a few mistakes!- I added ribbon or ric rac or just did a line of decorative stitching over it

ikea fleece is brilliant and a cream coloured bobbin thread is invisible on the finished item

this truly is crazy as it combines all sorts of materials,  doesn’t have a backing, frame or proper quilt finish I just seamed ribbon along two edges and hemmed with a zig zag elsewhere

never going to be a quilter but loved doing this …. if I forget how long it took I might even do another one!

Mixed media clock

A first and probably last as it turned out too girly

but then I am using up stash and have a little girl in mind as recipient …

found a stretched canvas in the project drawer and sealed it with mod podge glitter before mounting the clock mechanism on the frame so the hands project beyond the edges – the effect I wanted and the frame bears the weight of the mechanism, but means it has to be wall mounted

I covered the edges of the canvas with ribbon for a frame effect, then went to town with donated feathers, leaves, sequins and die cuts around a quote I have had in mind for ages – which further reduces the peel off letters pile.

although I bought the mechanism – intended for a repair of another clock, but didn’t fit – and must have bought the canvas, this is a use it up or throw it out project

#crafter’s satisfaction

 

 

Cutting fabric on the scan n cut

I have struggled to get the settings right, but may finally have sorted fabric cutting on  the scan n cut

cut speed four, blade four, pressure four on light cotton that has had heat n bond or bondaweb fused on the back and the paper peeled off i.e. stuck wrong side down directly on the mat

the fabric peeled easily off from the mat and was just ironed on to the suedette drawstring bag: hot iron- no steam and with an ironing cloth for protection

so here I have decorated some glasses bags in a festive style so they can be given another life as gift bags later this year

 

Glass leading

Decra  led   self adhesive strips were great for this faux stained glass door panel

but what to do with the left overs?

I jave been upcycling glass bottles and jars aplenty. in this case a simple coffee jar with a good seal in the lid

looks great with the panels painted with left over glass paint but not for food containers as it warps ones expectations of the contents. Blue sugar anyone? Painted glass best for Epsom salts or potpourri storage.

particularly good for up cycling (white) wine bottles to hold our home made vinegars, sorry I gave them away before I remembered to photograph them.

so to use up the rest of the packs I am off to the charity shop tomorrow to titivate a couple of vases.

Jeans to … Puppy present

Next step on the jeans up cycling project …. A tug toy for a friend’s new puppy.

Inspired  by pinterest, I drew a bone shaped paper template and then cut matching pieces of old jeans leg with the seams at artistic(!) angles on each side then free motion embroidered the name before seaming, turning and stuffing. (Stuffed with trimmings from an ongoing sewing project)

The weak point might be my hand sewn closing of the seam but let’s see.

A quick, easy project that my dog approved before posting. So I did him his own version.

Jeans to … sewing challenge

Take one pair of jeans and too many hours on Pinterest and let us see what we can make….

so far the bottom of the legs have been chopped off and made into two simple storage pots.

I boxed the bottoms (the tops really to preserve the hems) and lined with some dotty fabric and some wadding. One leg had a longer lining piece to create a bigger contrast cuff

These will be used to store ready readers and sunglasses.

If I made them again and had enough firm form interface I would use that to make the sides more rigid but these will do the soft storage job

Now back to Pinterest to see what else to try … I have ppreviously made a garden apron/belt, some  oven gloves and mitts -see earlier posts-  so want to expand my jeans recycling repertoire