A stash buster built on the base of an IKEA throw, using crazy quilt 9 inch blocks
I cut wonky hexagons as the scentre of each block and added strips, working my way round the sides of the hexagon until it was about 9 inches square, then trimmed it against a 9 inch card template to be accurate
blocks were sewn into strips and then directly on to to the throw base until it was covered
where there were gaps or tears- I made a few mistakes!- I added ribbon or ric rac or just did a line of decorative stitching over it
ikea fleece is brilliant and a cream coloured bobbin thread is invisible on the finished item
this truly is crazy as it combines all sorts of materials, doesn’t have a backing, frame or proper quilt finish I just seamed ribbon along two edges and hemmed with a zig zag elsewhere
never going to be a quilter but loved doing this …. if I forget how long it took I might even do another one!
Birthday present Of music themed bunting
four pieces of gingham cut into pennants with my rotary cutter and sandwiched with a zig zag stitch between a strip of one inch tape folded in half
then simple applique shapes were cut with my scan n cut from bondaweb backed fabric and ironed on to each pennant
ta dah! No interfacing or lining 32 pennants about 8 metres of truly unique bunting
I have resurrected an old project and tried out a few new stitches which have reignited my enthusiasm for cross stitch.
The green and white is alternating oblong and cross stitch ( just stitch over an oblong rather than a square to make the oblongs), the grey and pink is layering upright and traditional cross stitch over a double sized square and the maroon is gobelin.
if you are interested, graphics below,
I am working on a giant roll of canvas so have set myself a target of 100 stitch or colour variations, about 90 to go!
Discovered a dozen magnetic bag clasps in my sewing box, so decided to use one and follow a Debbie Shore tutorial. I made this bag with three squares of fabric, it is a quick and easy project.
I cut two 11″ squares of the floral fabric and one of a plain lining material. I cut a matching square of wadding which I free motion quilted to the back of one of my floral squares and a half square piece ( 11 x 5 1/2″) which I quilted to half of my other floral piece. I had a 15″ piece of cord for the wrislet and a spare button for embellishment. Vintage brooches would be perfect for this sort of bag embellishment.
Debbie’s tutorial is, as always, easy to follow. I top stitched at the end to give it a bit more finish.
Next time I will put some stabiliser on the lining and maybe round or angle the corners on the top flap. I might even put a pocket in the lining as this is such a quick and easy project.
Next step on the jeans up cycling project …. A tug toy for a friend’s new puppy.
Inspired by pinterest, I drew a bone shaped paper template and then cut matching pieces of old jeans leg with the seams at artistic(!) angles on each side then free motion embroidered the name before seaming, turning and stuffing. (Stuffed with trimmings from an ongoing sewing project)
The weak point might be my hand sewn closing of the seam but let’s see.
A quick, easy project that my dog approved before posting. So I did him his own version.
I love vintage brooches and try to wear them on jackets often
i have turned their storage into a display with this project
a piece of corduroy and contrast linen which was three inches longer and wider were sandwiched (right sides OUT) around some batting so that the corduroy was centered on the bigger fabric giving an equal border.
the border was pressed in half and then folded over the edge of the cord and pressed agin then pinned in place, creating the look of bias binding
I top stitched around the frame that was created (twice, once at the crease and once on the outer edge to sharpen it up).
the corners were folded as hospital corners on a bed with the long edges on top, to create a mitre effect but these were left unsewn so I could poke a curtain rod through the channel created when I sewed the frame
I threaded cord through the convenient hole in each end of the slim metal curtain rod (an adjustable one designed for net curtains) -and knotted it to secure it
Take one pair of jeans and too many hours on Pinterest and let us see what we can make….
so far the bottom of the legs have been chopped off and made into two simple storage pots.
I boxed the bottoms (the tops really to preserve the hems) and lined with some dotty fabric and some wadding. One leg had a longer lining piece to create a bigger contrast cuff
These will be used to store ready readers and sunglasses.
If I made them again and had enough firm form interface I would use that to make the sides more rigid but these will do the soft storage job
Now back to Pinterest to see what else to try … I have ppreviously made a garden apron/belt, some oven gloves and mitts -see earlier posts- so want to expand my jeans recycling repertoire