From the outside a boring old book but open it up …
we cut out the centre of pages of volumes of the “history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire” (2 volumes so far, 6 left in the set) to create a hidden recess to store goodies away from prying eyes
We started by sealing the outside edges with Mod Podge, when it dried a Stanley knife was used to cut out a rectangle starting a few pages in and cutting down through to about three quarters of the way through the book. We then sealed the exposed cut edges with more mod podge
Tips from my crafty assistant: seal the outside of the pages for stability first; cut from the corners out for neatness; don’t make the rectangle too big to weaken the frame left behind.
To finish, the recess was decorated with stickers
I plan to put some chocolate money inside and label the wrapped gift ‘some valuable reading inside’
scan n cut to decorate my tablecloth to peg bag project
the old oilcloth tablecloth has been taking up space in my fabric pile and all I can think of using it for is peg bags, any ideas?
I used a smallish plastic hanger ( note to self remember to keep hangers when next buying stuff in m&s as stash now depleted) and traced around the width of the hanger on the reverse of my oilcloth. I gave myself a half inch seam allowance and some wriggle room as the oilcloth doesn’t stretch.
The fabric length was cut at one and a half times the planned length of the bag (this gave me the back and folded up to make the bottom of the bag front. When this piece was cut I folded it in half lengthwise to check it was symmetrical
To get the top front of the bag a separate piece of fabric was cur to match the width and shape of the back piece but length to just more than half of the planned bag size.
I planned the cutting so the cut pieces finished on the bias bound edge of my tablecloth. This saved a hemming step. (That is why the right edge of my front does a little bend in the picture, I thought it would look stylish, actually it just looks wobbly).
The two pieces were stitched wrong sides together leaving a small gap to put the hanger through. I then Turned them right sides out and creases were finger smoothed out (even a cool iron melted a prototype).
I cut shapes from external use vinyl on the scan n cut to decorate (and cover the iron damage on my prototype) and trust the project will enjoy a good second life somewhere
My holiday crafting project: to use up some of my die cut and paper packs….
15 cards, 6 gift card holders put into three presentation boxes ( with a few cards for my use) but there is still soooo much left over that I can’t see myself ever needing to buy another pack.
I do like the colours of this do-crafts owl folk paper set but I must have made more than 30 cards already from the ultimate pack I bought – in the sale of course- so won’t mind when I use it up.
This time I tried new layouts with banners, flags and layering
And rather than stamping a sentiment inside just decorated an insert sheet with some strips or little die cuts
And the boxes were pizza box style from a sheet of A4 card that was just big enough but needed to be closed with a belly band cut from the paper kit to remind me what is inside each box.
Some of the french lavender that my sister harvested has been turned into bath salts thar won’t clog the plug hole.
Fill-your-own tea bags were stuffed with a mixture of dried lavender and dead sea bath salts.
I searched for some lavender themed paper for the packaging but this was the closest I had in my huge supply pile. The reverse of this paper is however lavender polka dots so the trimmings were used to make banner ended tags for the bag ties.
Wet day and the window ledge needed cheering up, so a vase of flowers was created without stepping outside
Six pinwheel flowers were cut on the scan n cut with BBQ matches for stalks and buttons for centres. I used blue themed floral papers to match the ‘vase’ (and my mood as the rain seemed endless)
The vase was a can found from recycling with a ball of wool wrapped round it. Most wraps were made round the middle to give a rounded shape and a few strands of contrast wool wrapped around the top and tied in a bow for decoration
The can was filled with out of date dried pasta shapes (mini alphabets) so I could spread the stalks outside
Maybe a few leaves would finish this off?
A first and probably last as it turned out too girly
but then I am using up stash and have a little girl in mind as recipient …
found a stretched canvas in the project drawer and sealed it with mod podge glitter before mounting the clock mechanism on the frame so the hands project beyond the edges – the effect I wanted and the frame bears the weight of the mechanism, but means it has to be wall mounted
I covered the edges of the canvas with ribbon for a frame effect, then went to town with donated feathers, leaves, sequins and die cuts around a quote I have had in mind for ages – which further reduces the peel off letters pile.
although I bought the mechanism – intended for a repair of another clock, but didn’t fit – and must have bought the canvas, this is a use it up or throw it out project
I have struggled to get the settings right, but may finally have sorted fabric cutting on the scan n cut
cut speed four, blade four, pressure four on light cotton that has had heat n bond or bondaweb fused on the back and the paper peeled off i.e. stuck wrong side down directly on the mat
the fabric peeled easily off from the mat and was just ironed on to the suedette drawstring bag: hot iron- no steam and with an ironing cloth for protection
so here I have decorated some glasses bags in a festive style so they can be given another life as gift bags later this year