I have struggled to get the settings right, but may finally have sorted fabric cutting on the scan n cut
cut speed four, blade four, pressure four on light cotton that has had heat n bond or bondaweb fused on the back and the paper peeled off i.e. stuck wrong side down directly on the mat
the fabric peeled easily off from the mat and was just ironed on to the suedette drawstring bag: hot iron- no steam and with an ironing cloth for protection
so here I have decorated some glasses bags in a festive style so they can be given another life as gift bags later this year
Seal part of a decorative napkin on card to use as a card topper? I can’t recommend this but it maybe worth a try if you are out of other resources… I had a go while tidying away my Christmas stuff
place a sheet of light card (I used a whole A4 sheet ) on your ironing board then lay a piece of cling film smaller than that on top. Peel the top ply of your napkin away from the plain underside ( or sides if you have a 3 ply napkin) and discard the plain bits, cut down the image to the size you want for your final card topper ( I used a quarter of a napkin for an 8 inch card base), lay it face up on top of the cling film and cover with a sheet of cheap copy paper. Iron with a hot, steam free, iron for several seconds until the cling film seals the napkin to the card.
Remove the top paper to check everything has stuck, you can have another go if it hasn’t, then use scissors to cut the card flush with the napkin- take care, a trimmer will probably tear the napkin.
I had to fix brads in the corners as I couldn’t get a proper seal and when I used wink of Stella to embellish the reindeer, the napkin puffed off the cling film. Liquid pearls and stickles worked well though and my sentiment was peel offs stuck on card and foam tape mounted on the plainest bits of the napkin.
So at least one card in the stash for Christmas!
A quick fix for an awkward size plastic pot
quality paper cut to form a tube to fit snugly around the plastic pot (if you want to taper the tube see glass lampshade post from this time last year for cutting angles)
drop tube over plastic so it can be removed for watering but doesn’t gape
cut strips of contrast paper and concertina them before sticking the folds to the top of the tube, I overlapped three strips to get all the way round and used quick grabbing liquid glue so I only had to hold the concertina strip in place for a few seconds
a final strip was cut in half lengthways with decorative scissors and taped to the bottom of the pot
I am using brown paper for lots of my wrapping this year with scan n cut embellishments and stamping for most parcels, but these simple sewn packets are a joy to make and look very classy
fold your paper in half then trace the shape you want to end up with one side ( I used a frixion pen in case I needed to erase it but light pencil would do as well).
then choose a decorative stitch to sew around all but one side of your image. I used a white thread here but Am inspired to try lots of threads from the sewing basket now.
I had my walking foot on the machine so nothing slipped but you might want to help the paper through if using a standard foot
trim the paper close to the stitch line to tidy it up (pinking shears would add a good effect, but too much use on paper might not be good for your expensive scissors)
pop in the present then sew up the final side
tip: make the packet larger than the contents or you will struggle to sew the final side closed and don’t want to sew through the contents
if you want to decorate the paper or write on the addressee details you will need to finish it all before you put the gift inside
some people keep old machine needles for their paper projects, I will just dispose of this needle before I start my next fabric project as the paper will blunt it.
A bonio bonus as we now have a dog and have many friends with dogs that we want to include in Christmas fun.
I cut the hoop form from cardboard packaging using a dinner plate as a guide for the outside and a side plate for the inside of the ring then wrapped long strips of fabric round and round to cover the cardboard.
I then took bias binding, (this one is of the same as the base fabric) and left a long tail before wrapping the rawhide bones firmly in place around the wreath. Once all the way back to the beginning of the circle, I tied a knot with the beginning tail and then made a hanging loop with the spare length of binding.
later versions use more colourful tape on hessian backing and different types of treats are bound in but all were made without glue, string or embellishments just in case the dogs get unsupervised access to the wreath.
ribbon strips sewed on to felt cut in the shape of bells …
I sandwiched a loop of elastic between two pieces of felt (scan n cut not happy about cutting felt in a freezer paper sandwich)
i glued one pair of bells together then hot glued lengths of ribbon across the front and back of the shape, to cover the edge some ric rac was glued around the side
Not happy with that I tried sewing rather than gluing, still not looking good enough for use, oh well, an experiment!
perfect to hang on the tree with little chocolate or lipbalm type goodies
just hot glue two shapes – mine 5 inches high- together then stick on mini buttons, pompous or embellishments. Finish with a loop of ribbon hot glued close to the seam